Fun Facts About Koi
1. Koi originate from Japan and are a national past time. Koi are also raised in New Zealand, Australia, Israel, and the United States.
2. Female Koi are more social and playful than males. They have great personalities and lots of body movement.
3. There are 50 different varieties of Koi.
4. Koi can live to be 100 years old or longer.
5. The age of a Koi is determined by the rings around their outer scales: one ring for every two years.
6. Koi increase in value by age, length and weight, patterns and vivid colors.
7. Koi are a great investment. One large Koi can easily be worth $40,000 to $60,000.
8. The oldest living Koi named Hanoko hailed from Japan and lived to be 226 years old. Hanoko was born in 1751, five years BEFORE classical genius Mozart was born. Hanoko died on July 17, 1977 at the age of 226 years.
9. A swim with Koi may result in the discovery that they are affectionate animals and will give "fish kisses".
10. The Japanese have a standing challenge: they will pay $1 million to anyone who can produce a single Koi, 4 feet long.
11. Rice and corn are among Koi's favorite foods.